May 30, 2012

My World Turned Upside Down


It used to be that, living pay cheque to pay cheque, I was poor . . . at the bottom of the heap.  Poor me.

It used to be that, weighing over 230 lbs, getting down to 200 lbs would be the lowest weight I could reasonably go . . . any less would be "too skinny".  Not-that-overweight me.

It used to be that, being very conscious about my appearance, seeing a "dirty" homeless person made me take a wide berth around them . . . wondering how someone could allow themselves to get to that state.  Better-than-that me.

It used to be that, being a steak lover, I "needed" to eat meat with every dinner . . . it's how I'm made.  Carnivore me.

It used to be that . . .

I could go on and on, but suffice to say that as a result of this last year's experiences my world and many of the things I used to think have been turned upside down.

I now know that, even living pay cheque to pay cheque, I am more affluent than many . . . near the top of the global heap.  Grateful me.

I now know that, weighing less than 185 lbs, 200 lbs is the highest I should reasonably go . . . any more would be unhealthy.  Going-to-try-and-keep-the-weight-off me.

I now know that, having looked after myself the best I could in the circumstances of living without, every "dirty" homeless person is a real person like me with a real story . . . doing the best they can and not wanting to be in that state.  Embarrassed-about-the-way-I-used-to-think me.

I now know that, having survived essentially without meat for 3 months, I need (and crave!) fruits and vegetables as much or more than meat.  Omnivore-with-meat-in-moderation me.

I now know that . . .

The many other learnings, some of which have been in previous blogs and some of which will surface in my consciousness in the coming weeks and months, are a blessing for which I am eternally grateful.  It is my hope that some of that which I have learned in the last year has resonated with readers and illuminated their blessings; and that in some way this journey has shone light into the reality of those in need to the end that we may all work together to ensure that everyone has enough.


Hey!!  I'm That Poverty Guy . . . let's make a world of difference together.

Click Here to See WHAT YOU CAN DO

Click Here to Sign . . . A Declaration to World Leaders

1 comment: